Thursday 21 March 2013

Somerset beauties - Pied-billed and displaying great crested gebes


I had been longing to see Somersets pied-billed grebe so when the opportunity arose we set off on tuesday in the hope that we would get some nice close views.  We were in luck after only 20 to 30 minutes.  While listening to its monkey like call as it appeared to be answering the little grebes that were calling it suddenly popped up in a channel close by.  Not content with that shortly after it came and posed in front of us for a good 10 minutes or so much to the delight of all there.  I make no excuse for the high number of photos that follow!   Prior to this I had been to Chard and much to my delight the great crested grebes were displaying and dancing close by.   Naturally I could not resist a few photos of these either.

















The male marsh harrier gave us some wonderful views though rather distant for my camera.




2 comments:

  1. Great photos Sue. Lucky You! I've been to try and see that grebe twice and have only had one brief glimpse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely grebe shots Sue! The Pied-billed is striking some great poses - what a crazy-looking beastie!

    ReplyDelete